17 Nov 2006

Beyond the Shadows (by Robin Lee Hatcher)

'Beyond the Shadows' is a novel set in America in the 1950s, by Robin Lee Hatcher. The book opens rather dramatically at Deborah's young husband's funeral, where she first meets Gideon. He's an old friend of her late husband, and offers to do some odd jobs around the house.

As events move forward slowly, we pick up on the reason why Deborah's husband died, and also get to know both her and Gideon as they slowly get to know each other. Not surprisingly, romance starts to blossom, and indeed, Gideon does seem to be a charming young man. It's not until later that his past begins to emerge in a way that causes serious problems.

Sensitively written, probably eye-opening to some, I found this a very moving novel. My only slight regret is that I read the blurb on the back before starting, as it gave away rather more of the plot than I would have wished. Still, it didn't really matter, and by the time I was half-way through the book I could hardly bear to put it down.

Definitely recommended.  

No comments: